" Kate Armstrong & I are looking to hire 2 new paid interns to work on NYBG's All Asia Herbarium Digitization TCN! Please send to anyone who might be interested! Funding provided through NSF award 2100755. " From Facebook Post
Description from NY Botanical Garden website: https://www.nybg.org/about/work-with-us/employment/?p=job%2FoTdbjfwk&fbc...
The Digitization Intern – All Asia is a temporary, full-time position that will assist with the data capture of herbarium specimens collected from Asia and the Malay Archipelago and housed in the New York Botanical Garden Steere Herbarium as part of a multi-institutional NSF-funded project: Digitization TCN: Bringing Asia to digital life: mobilizing underrepresented Asian herbarium collections in the US to propel biodiversity discovery.
Additionally, this position supports, through actions and conduct, NYBG’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility initiatives and helps to build and maintain an inclusive organizational culture throughout the institution.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Barcode and capture digital images of herbarium specimens
- Handle (select and refile) herbarium specimens
- Transcribe specimen data from digital images into database
- Georeference specimens of plants collected from Asia and the Malay Archipelago
- Write public orientated stories for the Herbarium’s online scientific communication tool The Hand Lens
- Participate in public outreach events
- Occasionally help curate taxa to current taxonomy
- Must be able to work effectively with others as part of an efficient and detail oriented team
- Coursework in Biology
- Experience with digital photography and herbarium procedures preferred
- Current undergraduate, graduate student, or recent graduate
- Familiarity with the geography of eastern or southern Asia and the Malay Archipelago
- Ability to read Cyrillic, Hanzi, and/or Kanji characters is a plus
Please be advised, as a term and condition of accepting a job offer the candidate for employment must submit proof of full vaccination. Candidates for employment unable to submit proof of full vaccination at the time of the offer will not be considered for employment.
This policy is subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of Title VII and the American for Disabilities Act (ADA) and other EEO consideration. If you believe that because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief that you may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation or exemption to this policy please contact HR@nybg.org.
If you require an accommodation for any part of the application process, please notify the Human Resources department at HR@nybg.org.
EOE/BIPOC/F/Persons with disabilities/Veterans