SPNHC Symposium Title: Specimens Full Circle - Collection to Digitization to Data Use
Listen in and chat remotely: http://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/spnhc2015sfc (use headset for best experience)
Wednesday May 20th, 2015, all day 8:50am - 5: 30pm EDT and Thursday May 21st from 8:50am-12:10pm EDT.
Conveners: Dena Smith (University of Colorado), Vlad Blagoderov (Natural History Museum – London), Deborah Paul (iDigBio), that's dena.smith@Colorado.edu, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
on Twitter: @DenaSmithNufio @vblago @idbdeb
Novel field-collecting methods providing richer specimen data, maturing transcription and imaging techniques, and up-dated end-user interfaces are resulting in greater access to and use of specimen data for a variety of purposes. This has led to increasing use of museum specimen data for analysis and the development of visualization tools that facilitate research and support educational needs and outreach opportunities. As a collector, have you updated your field-collecting protocols? Do you map your field-collected data to current standards (like Darwin Core or Audubon Media)? Do you use hand-held devices and apps when collecting specimens? Or are you designing an app? Are you attaching globally unique identifiers in-the-field? As a collection manager, curator, technical assistant, informatics manager, programmer,…have you sped up transcription and imaging at your institution? Are you implementing novel methods for assuring data quality and fitness-for-research use? Have you incorporated crowd-sourcing and georeferencing into your digitization workflows? How are you incorporating digitization, social media, and use of specimen data into your education and outreach strategies? Have there been new research outputs and capabilities made possible by the changes you have made in your workflows? As a graduate student or current researcher do you have new research to share using specimen data? To all in the SPNHC community, please come show us what is working, what is still challenging, and what you’re accomplishing with specimen data.
iDigBio @ SPNHC 2015
Be sure to check out all of the iDigBio events at SPNHC 2015:
SPNHC Plenary Session
- Log in on Tue (8 AM EDT) to listen: http://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/spnhc2015
Specimens Full Circle: Collection to Digitization to Data Use Workshop
- Log in Wed (830 AM EDT) and Thu (830 AM EDT) to listen: http://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/spnhc2015sfc
iDigBio Small Collections Network Workshop
- Log in Thu (8 AM EDT) to listen: http://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/scnet
SPNHC DEMO Camp (sponsored by iDigBio)
- Log in on Thu (1:30 pm EDT) to listen: http://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/democamp2015
- Special Interest Group "TCN Coffee Klatch"
and... come visit us in the iDigBio Booth to learn more about
- More than 28,000,000 specimens and lots of images too!
- Job Opportunities
- Find out more about WeDigBio
- Discover how you can help the GBIF Task Force on Accelerating the Discovery of Biodiversity Collections Data
- What's coming up next at iDigBio and give us your input and feedback for the future of our collections!