UPDATE: The iDigBio Summit was a success and a great step in the development of this grand digitization project. Presentations and notes from the breakout sessions have been posted in the forums and are open for comment. A Summit summary document will be finalized very soon. In the interim, the details below describe the objectives that were set prior to the summit.
The iDigBio Summit will foster communication, cohesion, clarification of HUB objectives, clarification of Thematic Collections Network (TCN) objectives, identification of challenges and needs, and documentation of best/common practices related to the digitization and integration of biological collections data within the context of the Advancing Digitization of Biological Collections (ADBC) program. The Summit will focus on three broad themes: “Communication and Collaboration”, “Enabling the TCNs and Collaborators”, and “Enabling the National Resource”.
Stated Goals for the Summit:
Each ADBC TCN will share details regarding the project’s mission, objectives and planned activities.
- Define the specific purpose, as well as short-term and long-term objectives of the TCN.
- Describe the activities that will accomplish the stated purpose and objectives.
- List and explain anticipated challenges.
- Identify needs that must be satisfied by the HUB, TCNs, and the broader community in order to execute the planned activities and overcome the anticipated challenges.
- The iDigBio PIs will share details regarding mission, objectives and planned activities for the HUB.
Gain valuable insight during presentations and breakout group participation from related and complementary initiatives to improve the activities at both the HUB and TCNs. Representation will include: VertNet, Specify, Collections RCN, EOL, regional collections networks, GBIF, Filtered Push, TDWG, and other stakeholder organizations. Presentations will clarify:
- The functionality provided by these complementary initiatives (e.g., tools, services, data, community engagement, support, standards definition).
- The goals of the organization.
- The short-term and long-term roadmap.
- As appropriate, the availability of the tool/service (e.g., open source, system dependencies, 24/7 service).
- Proposed methods to interact and integrate with iDigBio, as well as concerns or challenges with integration recognized at this early stage.
- Technology, standards and protocols used.
- Define optimal communication and collaboration channels between the HUB, TCNs and other digitization partners.
- Identify risks and potential mitigation strategies associated with several critical challenges.
- Prioritize identified needs, and produce preliminary plans to address those needs.
- Identify and prioritize narrow topics for future, smaller workshops.