The Society of Herbarium Curators and iDigBio are pleased to announce an 8-week "Strategic Planning for Herbaria” online course. This course is for accepted applicants only. For more information and to apply, please visit: https://www.idigbio.org/content/registration-open-spring-2023-strategic-planning-herbaria-course Applications close March 8, 2023!
The goal of the course is for the students to produce a short (5–10 pages) strategic plan for their collection. Each plan will address vision, mission, values, stakeholders, strategies, goals, objectives, evaluation, and sustainability, among other things.
- Week 1 focuses on Stakeholders, Mission, Vision, and Core Values in addition to introducing participants to the course;
- Week 2 focuses on Strategies, Goals, Objectives, and Value Proposition;
- Week 3 focuses on Environmental Scan (SWOT/TOWS analysis);
- Week 4 focuses on Sustainability (addressing the SWOT analysis);
- Week 5 focuses on Evaluation, including Logic Models;
- Week 6 focuses on bringing everything together into a cohesive Strategic Plan and adding an Executive Summary and an Acknowledgements section;
- Week 7 focuses on peer discussion, review, and feedback in an effort to streamline the draft strategic plans; in addition, Week 7 introduces elements of design and formatting as well as the concept of a 1-page strategic plan, which is easy to communicate; and
- Week 8 focuses on how to continually improve, communicate, and implement the Strategic Plan and introduces the concept of an “elevator pitch”.