Resources for Collections-Based Undergraduate Education
The iDigBio Education and Outreach Working Group, AIM-UP!, Kurator, Quantitative Undergraduate Biology Education and Synthesis (QUBES), Biodiversity Literacy for Undergraduate Education (BLUE), and others are pleased to announce a workshop entitled “Resources for Collections-Based Undergraduate Education” as part of a QUBES Faculty Mentoring Network.
The workshop will be held in the iDigBio conference room (105, NW 16th ST) at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, from May 24-25, with travel days on the 23rd and 26th.
This workshop is focused on building and implementing collections-based undergraduate modules and is part of a QUBES Faculty Mentoring Network. The workshop will bring participants from the Faculty Mentoring Network together for two days to:
- receive training on implementation of existing collections-based resources developed by AIM-UP! and BLUE
- further develop, optimize, and extend these modules to fit individual's needs for different courses.
Visit https://qubeshub.org/groups/nhc_fmn for more information and to apply now!
Workshop Location: Building 105, Room #310 (105 NW16th St. Gainesville, FL 32611)
Day One: Wednesday May 24, 2017
- 8:30- 9:00: Arrive, check in, and coffee
- 9:00-10:00: Workshop welcome, introductions, and logistics
- 10:00-10:30: Break
- 10:30-10:45: Getting to know the data: An introduction to collections data– Libby Ellwood
- 10:45-11:00: Where to find the data: An introduction to data sources – Molly Phillips
- 11:00-11:20 Kurator tool demonstration – Tracy Barbaro
- 11:20-11:40: Building educational networks – Anna Monfils
- 11:40-12:00: An introduction to backwards design and module development workflows – Deb Linton
- 12:00-1:00: Catered Lunch
- 1:00-1:30: Introduction to the four modules, split into groups and identify work spaces.
- 1:30-3:30: Group time: Walk through the module. Explore collections data sources and Kurator tool.
- 3:30-4:30: Group time: Discuss potential challenges and barriers to implementation
- 4:30-5:00: Workshop wide discussion: Each group will give three slides summarizing their module and ideas for implementation/changes and how they could use Kurator.
- 5:00: End of day wrap up. Facilitators will introduce what we will do on day two.
Dinner on your own
Day Two: Thursday May 25, 2017
- 8:30-9:00: Mingle with coffee
- 9:00-9:15: QUBESHub logistics
- 9:15-9:30 Revisit goals for the day
- 9:30-10:00 Group time: Discuss courses and course plans
- 10:00 -11:30: Group time: Develop a set of group goals and objectives. Determine needs (information and resources).
- 11:30-12:00 Workshop-wide discussion: Groups report back about their progress and ask questions.
- 12:00-1:00 Catered Lunch (work in groups) Draft a plan. Identify roles of group members.
- 1:00-2:00: Group time: Draft a schedule for meeting times and topics over the course of the FMN, to include webinars, speakers, etc.
- 2:00-3:00: Workshop-wide discussion: Report
- 3:00 - 4:00 Revise plan and goals (what did you learn from other groups?). Create a timeline and benchmarks for success. Discuss assessment/assessment plan. Create a short presentation (~5 slides) presentation to share.
- 4:00-5:00 Group presentations
- 5:00 Summary, identify next steps, and answer questions.
- Dinner on your own