Difference between revisions of "Georeferencing for Paleo Workshop"

From iDigBio
Jump to: navigation, search
(Local Transportation)
(See here for post-workshop blog!)
 
(12 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[Category:Workshop]]
 
[[Category:Workshop]]
This wiki provides '''logistical''' resources for the workshop ''Georeferencing for Paleo: Refreshing the approach to fossil localities''. Additional resources that we expect to be active beyond the lifespan of the workshop are hosted on GitHub by the [https://github.com/tdwg/paleo TDWG Earth Sciences and Paleobiology Interest Group].
+
This wiki provides '''logistical''' resources for the workshop ''Georeferencing for Paleo: Refreshing the approach to fossil localities''. Additional resources that we expect to be active beyond the lifespan of the workshop are hosted on GitHub by the [https://github.com/tdwg/esp TDWG Earth Sciences and Paleobiology Interest Group].
  
 
= General Information =
 
= General Information =
  
'''When:''' April 27-29, 2020<br>
+
'''When:''' April 28 & 29, 2020; 9:00-10:30am MDT each day ([https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Georeferencing+for+Paleo&iso=20200428T09&p1=220&ah=1&am=30 check your local time here])<br>
 
'''Where:''' [https://nhmu.utah.edu/ Natural History Museum of Utah], Salt Lake City, UT '''**due to concern for COVID-19 this workshop will now be held entirely remotely**'''<br>
 
'''Where:''' [https://nhmu.utah.edu/ Natural History Museum of Utah], Salt Lake City, UT '''**due to concern for COVID-19 this workshop will now be held entirely remotely**'''<br>
 
'''Organizers:''' Carrie Levitt-Bussian (Natural History Museum of Utah), Holly Little (Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History), Talia Karim (University of Colorado Boulder), Erica Krimmel (iDigBio), Deborah Paul (iDigBio) <br>
 
'''Organizers:''' Carrie Levitt-Bussian (Natural History Museum of Utah), Holly Little (Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History), Talia Karim (University of Colorado Boulder), Erica Krimmel (iDigBio), Deborah Paul (iDigBio) <br>
'''Expected number of participants:''' 35
+
'''Expected number of participants:''' 40
  
 
This workshop will follow [https://www.idigbio.org/content/idigbio-code-conduct iDigBio's Code of Conduct].
 
This workshop will follow [https://www.idigbio.org/content/idigbio-code-conduct iDigBio's Code of Conduct].
  
 
= Goals & Outcomes =
 
= Goals & Outcomes =
 +
 +
'''**Note that in the modified, remote-only version of this workshop we expect to focus on information gathering aspects of the goals & outcomes below. Future activities will address the full scope of our original intent.**'''
  
 
As the paleo collections community wraps up several TCNs we recognize that a significant amount of digitization work remains to be done and that georeferencing is one of the next big roadblocks. Across all collection types, there are major issues with the quality of georeference data currently available on biodiversity data aggregators such as iDigBio and GBIF. For paleo collections, there are additional issues related to applying existing georeferencing workflows in the paleontological context, as well as to sharing georeference data publicly. This workshop will take advantage of the momentum catalyzed by ADBC funding in the paleontological collections community to address critical issues related to georeferencing workflows and georeferencing data quality. We will bring representatives from the paleo TCNs/PENs together with participants representing perspectives external to the existing ADBC community, to:
 
As the paleo collections community wraps up several TCNs we recognize that a significant amount of digitization work remains to be done and that georeferencing is one of the next big roadblocks. Across all collection types, there are major issues with the quality of georeference data currently available on biodiversity data aggregators such as iDigBio and GBIF. For paleo collections, there are additional issues related to applying existing georeferencing workflows in the paleontological context, as well as to sharing georeference data publicly. This workshop will take advantage of the momentum catalyzed by ADBC funding in the paleontological collections community to address critical issues related to georeferencing workflows and georeferencing data quality. We will bring representatives from the paleo TCNs/PENs together with participants representing perspectives external to the existing ADBC community, to:
Line 20: Line 22:
 
The organizers hosted two '''[https://www.idigbio.org/content/georeferencing-paleo-listening-session listening sessions]''' in January 2020 to review these goals and plan specific workshop activities. These listening sessions were not restricted to workshop participants. Notes from the listening session have been synthesized [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NDFvAXiFLVxgxlcGOtAC-9gAG8aFe-AJmlofLGp0fnk/edit#heading=h.2380mtutvpym here] – please feel free to add your own thoughts. Additional community input is also being collected in [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14sYGnWkaNSy2UIOM4PCACve3brfOvvjtqQnomHshKgo/edit#gid=0 this document] covering challenges, resources, and collection scope.
 
The organizers hosted two '''[https://www.idigbio.org/content/georeferencing-paleo-listening-session listening sessions]''' in January 2020 to review these goals and plan specific workshop activities. These listening sessions were not restricted to workshop participants. Notes from the listening session have been synthesized [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NDFvAXiFLVxgxlcGOtAC-9gAG8aFe-AJmlofLGp0fnk/edit#heading=h.2380mtutvpym here] – please feel free to add your own thoughts. Additional community input is also being collected in [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14sYGnWkaNSy2UIOM4PCACve3brfOvvjtqQnomHshKgo/edit#gid=0 this document] covering challenges, resources, and collection scope.
  
We expect to host workshop outcome documents on GitHub via the [https://github.com/tdwg/esp/tree/master/georeferencing TDWG Earth Sciences and Paleobiology interest group].
+
We will host [https://tdwg.github.io/esp/georeferencing/2020-workshop workshop outcome documents on GitHub] via the TDWG Earth Sciences and Paleobiology interest group.
  
 
= Logistics =
 
= Logistics =
  
This workshop will be conducted remotely. Please check back for details.
+
'''Important links for the virtual workshop!!'''
 +
 
 +
* Virtual workshop participant introductions: [https://bit.ly/2wXvO3a https://bit.ly/2wXvO3a]
 +
* Shared workshop content: [https://tdwg.github.io/esp/georeferencing/workflows https://tdwg.github.io/esp/georeferencing/workflows]
 +
* Shared Google Doc for collaborative notes: [https://bit.ly/3eEpkag https://bit.ly/3eEpkag]
 +
* Tips for using Zoom: [https://bit.ly/2wV6j2v https://bit.ly/2wV6j2v]
 +
* [https://fsu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5oJ3Wxt3j2RPBn7 Post-workshop feedback survey]
  
 
== Agenda ==
 
== Agenda ==
  
Details of agenda will be adjusted for the change of conducting this workshop remotely. The original draft schedule for when the workshop was going to happen in person was:
+
Workshop Zoom meetings will be held from 9:00-10:30 AM Salt Lake City time; [https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Georeferencing+for+Paleo&iso=20200428T09&p1=220&ah=1&am=30 check your local time here].
  
 
{| class="wikitable"
 
{| class="wikitable"
 
|-
 
|-
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" | '''April 27'''
+
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" |  
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" | '''Monday'''
+
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" | '''Pre-workshop'''
 
|-
 
|-
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"|
+
|  
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| Travel to SLC
+
| April 6 - 17: Information gathering; Record a short video or share protocols, workflows, etc.
 
|-
 
|-
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"|
+
|  
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| TBD collection tours at NHMU for anyone arriving early
+
| April 20 - 27: [https://tdwg.github.io/esp/georeferencing/workflows.html Review information gathered]
|-
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| 1:15 - 2:00
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| Arrive at NHMU and check in with workshop organizers
+
|-
+
| 2:00 - 2:15
+
| Welcome and logistics (Carrie Levitt-Bussian)
+
|-
+
| 2:15 - 2:30
+
| Introduction to agenda, goals, and deliverables (Talia Karim)
+
|-
+
| 2:30 - 3:00
+
| What does existing georeference data look like? (Erica Krimmel)
+
|-
+
| 3:00 - 3:30
+
| Deep Dive: DwC and ABCD standards (Holly Little)
+
|-
+
| 3:30 - 4:45
+
| Lightning talks on workflows, challenges, and solutions from different institutions
+
|-
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"|
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| Evening social
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" | '''April 28'''
 
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" | '''April 28'''
 
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" | '''Tuesday'''
 
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" | '''Tuesday'''
 
|-
 
|-
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| 8:45 - 9:15
+
| 9:00 - 10:30 AM MDT
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| Coffee & Tea
+
| Demo & discussion: What does existing georeference data available on iDigBio/GBIF look like?
|-
+
| 9:15 - 9:30
+
| Morning welcome and plan for the day
+
|-
+
| 9:30 - 9:45
+
| Overview: Public lands and sensitive localities
+
|-
+
| 9:45 - 10:00
+
| Overview: Implementing data standards (Jessica Utrup)
+
|-
+
| 10:00 - 10:15
+
| Overview: Tools for georeferencing (Nelson Rios)
+
|-
+
| 10:15 - 10:30
+
| Overview: Georeferencing data management issues (Giles Miller & Malcolm Penn)
+
|-
+
| 10:30 - 10:45
+
| Overview: Sharing georeferencing resources (Pat Holroyd)
+
|-
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"|
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| Coffee & Tea
+
|-
+
| 11:00 - 11:15
+
| Inspiration: Tools for georeferencing (Luis Villaneuva)
+
|-
+
| 11:15 - 12:15
+
| BREAKOUT SESSION #1
+
|-
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"|
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| Lunch (provided)
+
|-
+
| 1:15 - 2:15
+
| BREAKOUT SESSION #2
+
|-
+
| 2:15 - 3:15
+
| BREAKOUT SESSION #3
+
|-
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"|
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| Coffee & Tea
+
|-
+
| 3:30 - 3:45
+
| Inspiration: Tools for georeferencing
+
|-
+
| 3:45 - 4:45
+
| BREAKOUT SESSION #4
+
|-
+
| 4:45 - 5:00
+
| Debrief on breakout sessions and plan for tomorrow
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" | '''April 29'''
 
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" | '''April 29'''
 
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" | '''Wednesday'''
 
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" | '''Wednesday'''
 
|-
 
|-
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| 8:45 - 9:15
+
| 9:00 - 10:30 AM MDT
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| Coffee & Tea
+
| Demo & discussion: Deep dive into DwC and ABCD standards related to georeference data
 
|-
 
|-
| 9:15 - 9:30
+
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" |
| Morning welcome and plan for the day
+
! style="background-color:#dcdcdc;" | '''Post-workshop'''
 
|-
 
|-
| 9:30 - 10:30
+
|
| BREAKOUT SESSION #5
+
| Action items and format to be determined by participants during sessions on April 28 & 29.
|-
+
| 10:30 - 10:45
+
| Listening session - what didn't we talk about?
+
|-
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"|
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| Coffee & Tea
+
|-
+
| 11:00 - 11:15
+
| Synthesis: Public lands and sensitive localities (moderator)
+
|-
+
| 11:15 - 11:30
+
| Synthesis: Implementing data standards (moderator)
+
|-
+
| 11:30 - 11:45
+
| Synthesis: Tools for georeferencing (moderator)
+
|-
+
| 11:45 - 12:00
+
| Synthesis: Georeferencing data management issues (moderator)
+
|-
+
| 12:00 - 12:15
+
| Synthesis: Sharing georeferencing resources (moderator)
+
|-
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"|
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| Lunch (provided)
+
|-
+
| 1:15 - 1:30
+
| Group photo
+
|-
+
| 1:30 - 2:15
+
| Identify deliverables via moderated full group discussion
+
|-
+
| 2:15 - 2:45
+
| Prioritize deliverables (caucus style!)
+
|-
+
| 2:45 - 3:00
+
| Wrap-up and next steps
+
|-
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"|
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| Travel home
+
|-
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"|
+
| style="background-color:#ffffc7;"| TBD collection tours at NHMU for anyone leaving later
+
 
|-
 
|-
 
|}
 
|}
Line 174: Line 71:
 
==Remote Access==
 
==Remote Access==
  
Workshop organizers are discussing the demand and logistical possibility of providing remote access for portions of this workshop. If you would like to register your interest in remote participation, please do so by sending an email to [mailto:ekrimmel@fsu.edu ekrimmel@fsu.edu].
+
This workshop will be conducted remotely via Zoom and asynchronous recorded content. Participants will receive connection information via email.
  
 
= Reports and Resources =
 
= Reports and Resources =
 +
 +
==='''[https://www.idigbio.org/content/workshop-report-georeferencing-paleo See here for post-workshop blog!]'''===
  
 
* [https://www.idigbio.org/wiki/index.php/Paleo_Digitization_Working_Group iDigBio Paleo Digitization Working Group]
 
* [https://www.idigbio.org/wiki/index.php/Paleo_Digitization_Working_Group iDigBio Paleo Digitization Working Group]

Latest revision as of 23:42, 4 June 2020

This wiki provides logistical resources for the workshop Georeferencing for Paleo: Refreshing the approach to fossil localities. Additional resources that we expect to be active beyond the lifespan of the workshop are hosted on GitHub by the TDWG Earth Sciences and Paleobiology Interest Group.

General Information

When: April 28 & 29, 2020; 9:00-10:30am MDT each day (check your local time here)
Where: Natural History Museum of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT **due to concern for COVID-19 this workshop will now be held entirely remotely**
Organizers: Carrie Levitt-Bussian (Natural History Museum of Utah), Holly Little (Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History), Talia Karim (University of Colorado Boulder), Erica Krimmel (iDigBio), Deborah Paul (iDigBio)
Expected number of participants: 40

This workshop will follow iDigBio's Code of Conduct.

Goals & Outcomes

**Note that in the modified, remote-only version of this workshop we expect to focus on information gathering aspects of the goals & outcomes below. Future activities will address the full scope of our original intent.**

As the paleo collections community wraps up several TCNs we recognize that a significant amount of digitization work remains to be done and that georeferencing is one of the next big roadblocks. Across all collection types, there are major issues with the quality of georeference data currently available on biodiversity data aggregators such as iDigBio and GBIF. For paleo collections, there are additional issues related to applying existing georeferencing workflows in the paleontological context, as well as to sharing georeference data publicly. This workshop will take advantage of the momentum catalyzed by ADBC funding in the paleontological collections community to address critical issues related to georeferencing workflows and georeferencing data quality. We will bring representatives from the paleo TCNs/PENs together with participants representing perspectives external to the existing ADBC community, to:

  • Address the lack and poor quality of specimen georeference data shared on biodiversity aggregators, e.g. the iDigBio Portal, by determining recommendations for the paleo collections community on best practices and workflows for generating and sharing this data.
  • Identify technical barriers to implementing these recommendations and discuss a strategy for communicating them to standards organizations, aggregators, collection management software solutions, and georeferencing software tools.
  • Disseminate the findings of this workshop widely, both within the paleo collections community (including to collectors) and as a resource discoverable by other domains. Findings will include a “toolkit” to share the recommendations on best practices and workflows determined by this workshop.

The organizers hosted two listening sessions in January 2020 to review these goals and plan specific workshop activities. These listening sessions were not restricted to workshop participants. Notes from the listening session have been synthesized here – please feel free to add your own thoughts. Additional community input is also being collected in this document covering challenges, resources, and collection scope.

We will host workshop outcome documents on GitHub via the TDWG Earth Sciences and Paleobiology interest group.

Logistics

Important links for the virtual workshop!!

Agenda

Workshop Zoom meetings will be held from 9:00-10:30 AM Salt Lake City time; check your local time here.

Pre-workshop
April 6 - 17: Information gathering; Record a short video or share protocols, workflows, etc.
April 20 - 27: Review information gathered
April 28 Tuesday
9:00 - 10:30 AM MDT Demo & discussion: What does existing georeference data available on iDigBio/GBIF look like?
April 29 Wednesday
9:00 - 10:30 AM MDT Demo & discussion: Deep dive into DwC and ABCD standards related to georeference data
Post-workshop
Action items and format to be determined by participants during sessions on April 28 & 29.

Remote Access

This workshop will be conducted remotely via Zoom and asynchronous recorded content. Participants will receive connection information via email.

Reports and Resources

See here for post-workshop blog!