Data Management Interest Group
Data Management Interest Group (DMI)
This page is devoted to resources and discussion for the DMI Group. Keeping up with data requires certain skills and infrastructure. This Interest Group plans to discuss issues surrounding shared data and the help and information the biodiversity community needs in order to ensure, if possible, that the provider has the most up-to-date versions of their own datasets. We intend to provide a forum for discussion, and act as a resource for guidance to point providers toward potential solutions. Do you need help to re-integrate data into your database? Are you able to help, or know of resources? We invite anyone with an interest in this topic to join us and contribute your observations and potential solutions to this challenging topic. Anyone is welcome to join the interest group.
The interest group schedules regular discussion sessions via Adobe Connect for the purpose of sharing techniques, strategies, uses, improvements, and technology associated with re-integrating enhanced data back into a provider's database. Resources, related documents, and discussion notes are stored below. Our first meeting: Webinar 7 August 2014, 1:00 - 2:00 PM EDT.
Interest Group Members
- First Meeting of the Data Management Interest Group (DMI) August 07, 2014
- Partnering with libraries for data management, by Brian Westra, Recorded Monday October 20th, 2014. Noon - 1 PM EDT
- Issues in Re-integrating Georeferenced Data, the FishNet2 Experience, by Nelson Rios, recorded Monday March 30th, 2015. 2 - 3 PM EDT
- Data quality, usage, and issue tracking using GitHub, by John Wieczorek, et al at VertNet, recorded Friday 23 April, 2015. 4 - 5 PM EDT.
- Towards user-definable, semi-automated workflows for curating biodiversity data. Presenters (abc order): David Lowery, James A. Macklin, Timothy McPhillips, Paul J. Morris, Tianghong Song. Recorded 28 May 2015 2 - 4 PM EDT
Collaborative Notes and Interest Group Documents
- DMI Kickoff Meeting - Collaborative Notes Document short url: http://goo.gl/S7nzs5
- DMI Google Notes, Partnering with Librarians for Data Mgmt August 07, 2014
- DMI Meeting Chat Transcript, Issues in Re-integrating Georeferenced Data, the FishNet2 Experience March 30, 2015
- DMI Google Doc notes for iDigBio Webinar: Data quality, usage, and issue tracking using GitHub 23 April 2015
Presentations, Posters, Potential Topics
- Data Management: The Data Re-integration Step Presentation from first meeting (Webinar), 7 August 2014
- Partnering with libraries for data management, by Brian Westra, 20 October 2014
- DMI Poster at DigBio Summit IV, 27-28 October 2014
- Poster presented by Mare Nazaire, content by working group, design by Jeremy Spinks.
- Webinar Calendar Announcement: FishNet2 on re-integrating georeferences back into local collections databases (March 30, 2015)
- Webinar Calendar Announcement Data quality, usage, and issue tracking using GitHub: the view from VertNet (23 April 2015)
- Presentation Slides from Data quality, usage, and issue tracking using GitHub: the view from VertNet
- Webinar Calendar Announcement: Towards user-definable, semi-automated workflows for curating biodiversity data.(Filtered PUSH, Kepler Kurator, *Akka) May 28th, 2015
- Linking specimens, notes, and literature-- what systems have you found that best serve those linkages?
- Macroalgal TCN using Voice Recognition and OCR output to speed up digitization (may be June 2015)
Relevant Papers and Documents
A specialist’s audit of aggregated occurrence records Robert Mesibov