Augmenting OCR Working Group (A-OCR) Overview
This is a community derived encyclopedia of information about the Augmenting OCR working group. Members of this working group and the community are encouraged to work together to develop content and deliverables that will serve the broader digitization community.
We are focusing the efforts of the working group to put together materials to help the community get more from their OCR strategies. Topics we are gathering material on include:
- known effective practices for getting the most from any OCR software.
- known issues that hinder good (useful) OCR output.
- reporting findings after working with real image data and programmers to improve parsing of OCR output.
- lists of OCR software currently being utilized by the natural history collections community.
OCR Related Materials
Check out the following pages. We welcome your input!
Events, Outreach and Education
- iDigBio Augmenting OCR Workshop - Our working group is meeting in Gainesville, Florida, October 1 - 2, 2012. We've put together an exciting and challenging meeting agenda.
- iSchools Conference 2013
- The iDigBio AOCR working group successfully proposed a half-day workshop put together by members of our working group at the 2013 iSchools Conference, Februay 12 in Fort Worth, Texas.
- Our working group is planning a Hackathon, concurrent with the above iSchools workshop to reach out beyond our natural history collections boarders for those with skills needed to improve and enhance our existing strategies for using OCR of images and parsing OCR output. The Hackathon is scheduled for February 13 - 14 at the Botanical Research Institute of Texas (BRIT). Members of the natural history community will be invited to participate and a general call will go out to the broader community for interested applicants in early to mid November of 2013.
Please let us know if you need assistance modifying this page: iDigBio Help Desk
Also, if you would like to learn more about wiki syntax: Mediawiki Wikitext Examples