Difference between revisions of "ADBC Summit 2018"

From iDigBio
Jump to: navigation, search
(Report, Evaluation, and Photos)
 
(68 intermediate revisions by 7 users not shown)
Line 11: Line 11:
 
|[https://www.idigbio.org/content/adbc-summit-2018 Calendar Announcement]
 
|[https://www.idigbio.org/content/adbc-summit-2018 Calendar Announcement]
 
|-
 
|-
|[https://www.idigbio.org/content/adbc-summit-2018-registration Registration Form]
+
|<del>[https://www.idigbio.org/content/adbc-summit-2018-registration Registration Form]</del>
 
|-
 
|-
 
|[[#General Information | General Information]]
 
|[[#General Information | General Information]]
Line 34: Line 34:
 
<div style="column-count:2;-moz-column-count:2;-webkit-column-count:2">
 
<div style="column-count:2;-moz-column-count:2;-webkit-column-count:2">
 
* [https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MKVlL8EjOrx0tYBgVF4e-eo0OIU&usp=sharing Walking Map and Directions from Hilton to UF Cultural Plaza]
 
* [https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MKVlL8EjOrx0tYBgVF4e-eo0OIU&usp=sharing Walking Map and Directions from Hilton to UF Cultural Plaza]
* [https://www.google.com/maps/search/Restaurants/@29.6309718,-82.3748857,15.16z/data=!4m8!2m7!3m6!1sRestaurants!2sFlorida+Museum+of+Natural+History,+3215+Hull+Rd,+Gainesville,+FL+32611!3s0x88e8a33f1cbc36db:0xa01649ae968668d7!4m2!1d-82.3698148!2d29.6359326 Map of Restaurants near the Florida Museum]
+
*[https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Harnmap.pdf Harn Museum of Art Map]
 +
*[https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/PowellandMcGuiremap.pdf Powell Hall/McGuire Center Map]
 +
*[https://www.google.com/maps/search/Restaurants/@29.6309718,-82.3748857,15.16z/data=!4m8!2m7!3m6!1sRestaurants!2sFlorida+Museum+of+Natural+History,+3215+Hull+Rd,+Gainesville,+FL+32611!3s0x88e8a33f1cbc36db:0xa01649ae968668d7!4m2!1d-82.3698148!2d29.6359326 Map of Restaurants near the Florida Museum]
 
* [https://campusmap.ufl.edu/ UF Campus Map]
 
* [https://campusmap.ufl.edu/ UF Campus Map]
* [https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gainesville,+FL/@29.6864951,-82.4598348,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88e6202169bf2c2b:0x80e7795d28108d96!8m2!3d29.6516344!4d-82.3248262 Gainesville Map]  
+
*[https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gainesville,+FL/@29.6864951,-82.4598348,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88e6202169bf2c2b:0x80e7795d28108d96!8m2!3d29.6516344!4d-82.3248262 Gainesville Map]  
 
</div>
 
</div>
  
Line 53: Line 55:
 
<div style="column-count:2;-moz-column-count:2;-webkit-column-count:2">
 
<div style="column-count:2;-moz-column-count:2;-webkit-column-count:2">
 
* [http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hilton-university-of-florida-conference-center-gainesville-GVNCCHF/maps-directions/index.html Hilton Courtesy Shuttle]
 
* [http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hilton-university-of-florida-conference-center-gainesville-GVNCCHF/maps-directions/index.html Hilton Courtesy Shuttle]
* Gainesville Regional Transit System: [https://ufl.transloc.com/ Gator Locator]; [http://go-rts.com/campus-routes-fall/ Campus Routes]; [http://go-rts.com/fall-2017/ City Routes]
+
* Gainesville Regional Transit System: [https://ufl.transloc.com/ Gator Locator]; [http://go-rts.com/campus-routes-spring/ Campus Routes]; [http://go-rts.com/spring-2018/ City Routes]
 
* [https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2017/02/2017_Florida-Museum-Parking-Map.pdf Parking at the UF Cultural Plaza]
 
* [https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2017/02/2017_Florida-Museum-Parking-Map.pdf Parking at the UF Cultural Plaza]
 
* [https://www.lyft.com/cities/gainesville-fl Lyft]
 
* [https://www.lyft.com/cities/gainesville-fl Lyft]
Line 65: Line 67:
 
= Wireless Service =
 
= Wireless Service =
  
Wireless access for onsite iDigBio participants is provided by the University of Florida. Refer to iDigBio's [[Wireless Network Service|Wireless Network Service wiki page]] for more information on how to connect.
+
Wireless access for onsite participants is provided by the University of Florida: https://getonline.ufl.edu/
  
 
= Remote Access =
 
= Remote Access =
  
To the extent possible, the Summit sessions will be broadcast and recorded using Adobe Connect. If you wish to listen to the meeting remotely:
+
To the extent possible, the Summit sessions will be broadcast and recorded using the University of Florida Mediasite service. If you wish to listen to the meeting remotely, visit the Mediasite catalog here:
  
# First, read the [[Web_Conferencing|iDigBio Web Conferencing wiki page]] to get you started.
+
https://mediasite.video.ufl.edu/Mediasite/Catalog/catalogs/-adbc-summit-2018
# Connect to the meeting:
+
#* Navigate to: https://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/room/
+
#* Choose '''Enter as Guest'''
+
#* In the box provided, please type your '''First Name, Surname, and Affiliation''' in this format: Allie Gator (UF)
+
#* Click '''Enter Room'''
+
  
 
= '''Agenda''' =  
 
= '''Agenda''' =  
  
* We plan to print and distribute a condensed program at the Summit. Please consider the environment if printing this schedule.
+
* [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Summit2018MiniProgram.pdf '''Summit Mini Program with maps'''.] You will be provided a hard copy of this program at check-in.
* Open meeting space is available in the Summit rooms when not in session.
+
* [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/ADBCSummit8InteractiveAgenda4.pdf '''Best agenda for mobile viewing'''.]
 +
* [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Summit2018ParticipantBios.pdf '''Participant Bios'''.]
 +
*Open meeting space is available in the Summit rooms when not in session.
 
* The McGuire Director's Conference Room will remain an open meeting space throughout the Summit.
 
* The McGuire Director's Conference Room will remain an open meeting space throughout the Summit.
  
Line 101: Line 100:
 
|  
 
|  
 
|  
 
|  
| style="background-color: lightblue;" | '''Orientation to ADBC'''<br>
+
| style="background-color: lightblue;" | '''[https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-0/ADBC_Orientation_2018.pdf Orientation to ADBC]''' by the iDigBio Team<br>
 
Join us for an orientation session presented by the iDigBio core team. Everyone is welcome! Come to learn, to refresh, and to meet your fellow digitizers! We will cover topics including:
 
Join us for an orientation session presented by the iDigBio core team. Everyone is welcome! Come to learn, to refresh, and to meet your fellow digitizers! We will cover topics including:
 
# What ADBC and iDigBio are about, the acronyms, the scope
 
# What ADBC and iDigBio are about, the acronyms, the scope
Line 108: Line 107:
 
# Ways to interact with us - listservs, meet the staff
 
# Ways to interact with us - listservs, meet the staff
 
# Forum for suggestions to make all of this better
 
# Forum for suggestions to make all of this better
| '''iDigBio-GBIF-ALA Meeting'''&emsp;''Closed Session''
+
|  
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''11:00-12:30'''
+
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''11:00-1:00'''
 
| colspan="4" style="background-color: lightyellow;" | '''Lunch on your own'''
 
| colspan="4" style="background-color: lightyellow;" | '''Lunch on your own'''
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''12:30-4:30'''
+
| rowspan="2" style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''1:00-3:00'''
| '''TCN Kickoff Meeting - Endless Forms'''
+
| colspan="3" style="background-color: lightblue;" | '''TCN Kickoff Meetings Session I'''
| '''TCN Kickoff Meeting - Pteridological Collections Consortium'''
+
| style="background-color: darkgray;" |
| '''TCN Kickoff Meeting - California Phenology'''
+
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| '''iDigBio External Advisory Board'''&emsp;''Closed Session''
+
| '''[[Digitizing "Endless Forms": Facilitating Research on Imperiled Plants with Extreme Morphologies | Endless Forms]]'''
 +
| '''[[The Pteridological Collections Consortium: An integrative Approach to Pteridophyte Diversity Over the Last 420 Million Years | Pteridological Collections Consortium]]'''
 +
| '''[[Capturing California's Flowers: Using Digital Images to Investigate Phenological Change in a Biodiversity Hotspot | California Phenology]]'''
 +
| style="background-color: darkgray;" | '''[[iDigBio External Advisory Board]]'''&emsp;''Closed Session''
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
! colspan="2" | Agenda
 
! colspan="2" | Agenda
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| 12:30-1:30
+
| 1:00-1:30
 
| EAB pre-meeting
 
| EAB pre-meeting
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 1:30-3:00
 
| 1:30-3:00
 
| EAB meeting with iDigBio
 
| EAB meeting with iDigBio
 +
|}
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''3:00-3:30'''
 +
| colspan="2" style="background-color: lightyellow;" | '''Afternoon break (provided)'''
 +
|
 +
|
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| rowspan="2" style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''3:30-5:00'''
 +
| colspan="3" style="background-color: lightblue;" | '''TCN Kickoff Meetings Session II'''
 +
| style="background-color: darkgray;" |
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| '''[[Digitizing "Endless Forms": Facilitating Research on Imperiled Plants with Extreme Morphologies | Endless Forms]]'''
 +
| '''[[The Pteridological Collections Consortium: An integrative Approach to Pteridophyte Diversity Over the Last 420 Million Years | Pteridological Collections Consortium]]'''
 +
| '''[[Capturing California's Flowers: Using Digital Images to Investigate Phenological Change in a Biodiversity Hotspot | California Phenology]]'''
 +
| style="background-color: darkgray;" | '''[[iDigBio External Advisory Board]]'''&emsp;''Closed Session''
 +
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 +
! colspan="2" | Agenda
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| 3:00-4:30
+
| 3:30-5:00
 
| Working time for EAB
 
| Working time for EAB
 
|}
 
|}
Line 158: Line 177:
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''8:15-9:00'''
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''8:15-9:00'''
| style="background-color: lightyellow;" | '''Arrival, Summit check-in, coffee, networking'''
+
| style="background-color: lightyellow;" | '''Arrival, Summit check-in, networking, coffee, light refreshments'''
 
|  
 
|  
 
| style="background-color: black;" | Not available
 
| style="background-color: black;" | Not available
Line 173: Line 192:
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 9:00-9:15
 
| 9:00-9:15
| Opening &amp; Welcome
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/01-Welcome_to_Summit_2018.pdf Opening &amp; Welcome]
 
| Larry Page
 
| Larry Page
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 9:15-9:30
 
| 9:15-9:30
| Logistics
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/02-ADBC_Program_Update_Summit_2018.pdf ADBC Program Update]
| David Jennings
+
| Reed Beaman
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 9:30-9:45
 
| 9:30-9:45
| ADBC Program Update
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/03-Logistics_Day1_Summit_2018.pdf Logistics]
| Reed Beaman
+
| David Jennings
 
|}
 
|}
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
Line 188: Line 207:
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 9:45-10:00
 
| 9:45-10:00
| California Phenology
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/04-CAP_Intro_Summit_2018.pdf California Phenology]
 
| Jenn Yost
 
| Jenn Yost
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 10:00-10:15
 
| 10:00-10:15
| Pteridological Collections Consortium
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/05-PCC_Overview_Summit_2018.pdf Pteridological Collections Consortium]
 
| Carl Rothfels
 
| Carl Rothfels
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 10:15-10:30
 
| 10:15-10:30
| Endless Forms
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/06-Endless_Forms_Intro_Summit_2018.pdf Endless Forms]
 
| Matthew Pace
 
| Matthew Pace
 
|}
 
|}
Line 218: Line 237:
 
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''Plenary Session II'''
 
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''Plenary Session II'''
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
! colspan="3" | Fossilized TCNs
+
! colspan="3" | TCN Updates
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 11:00-11:15
 
| 11:00-11:15
| Paleoniches &amp; Cretaceous World
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/07-CW-Paleoniches_Summit_2018.pdf Paleoniches &amp; Cretaceous World]
 
| Bruce Lieberman
 
| Bruce Lieberman
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 11:15-11:25
 
| 11:15-11:25
| Fossil Insect Collaborative
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/08-FIC_Summit_2018.pdf Fossil Insect Collaborative]
 
| Erica Krimmel
 
| Erica Krimmel
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| 11:25-11:35
+
| 11:25-11:40
| Fossil Marine Invertebrates
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/09-SCAN-LepNet_Summit_2018.pdf SCAN &amp; LepNet]
 +
| Neil Cobb
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| 11:40-11:50
 +
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/10-EPICC_Summit_2018.pdf Fossil Marine Invertebrates]
 
| Pat Holroyd
 
| Pat Holroyd
|}
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
! colspan="3" | TCNs that Bug People
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 11:35-11:50
 
| SCAN &amp; LepNet
 
| Neil Cobb
 
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 11:50-12:00
 
| 11:50-12:00
| InvertEBase
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/11-InvertEBase_Summit_2018.pdf InvertEBase]
 
| Rudiger Bieler
 
| Rudiger Bieler
 
|}
 
|}
Line 249: Line 265:
 
|  
 
|  
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''12:00-1:00'''
+
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''12:00-12:15'''
 +
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''Group Photo'''
 +
|
 +
|
 +
|
 +
|
 +
|
 +
|
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''12:15-1:00'''
 
|  
 
|  
 
|  
 
|  
Line 258: Line 283:
 
|  
 
|  
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''1:00-2:20'''
+
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''1:00-2:10'''
 
|
 
|
 
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''Plenary Session III'''
 
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''Plenary Session III'''
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
! colspan="3" | Mutualist TCNs
+
! colspan="3" | TCN Updates cont.
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 1:00-1:10
 
| 1:00-1:10
| Microfungi
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/12-MiCC_Summit_2018.pdf Microfungi]
 
| Andrew Miller
 
| Andrew Miller
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 1:10-1:20
 
| 1:10-1:20
| Macroalgae
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/13-Macroalgae_Summit_2018.pdf Macroalgae]
 
| Chris Neefus
 
| Chris Neefus
|}
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
! colspan="3" | TCNs We Dig
 
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 1:20-1:30
 
| 1:20-1:30
| SERNEC
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/14-SERNEC_Summit_2018.pdf SERNEC]
| Zack Murrell
+
| Michael Denslow
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 1:30-1:40
 
| 1:30-1:40
| MAM
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/15-MAM_Summit_2018.pdf MAM]
 
| Cindy Skema
 
| Cindy Skema
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 1:40-1:50
 
| 1:40-1:50
| SoRo
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/16-SoRo_Summit_2018.pdf SoRo]
 
| Erin Tripp
 
| Erin Tripp
|}
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
! colspan="3" | TCNs with a Backbone
 
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 1:50-2:00
 
| 1:50-2:00
| Great Lakes Invasives
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/17_GLI_Summit_2018.pdf Great Lakes Invasives]
 
| Ken Cameron
 
| Ken Cameron
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 2:00-2:10
 
| 2:00-2:10
| oVert
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/18_oVert_Summit_2018.pdf oVert]
 
| David Blackburn
 
| David Blackburn
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| <del>2:10-2:20</del>
 
| <del>Vouchered Animal Communication</del>
 
| <del>Michael Webster</del>
 
 
|}
 
|}
 
|  
 
|  
Line 308: Line 324:
 
|  
 
|  
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''2:20-2:50'''
+
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''2:10-2:40'''
 +
|
 +
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''Plenary Session IV'''
 +
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 +
! colspan="2" | Group Discussion
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| '''Panel Discussion with Retired TCNs'''<br>
 +
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X90bBuZYX3fAfB55D4RvruwkjYr5JQiIgCxVWjEfzVA/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 +
This is a panel discussion with members of retired TCNs that are in attendance. This session is intended to facilitate and propagate knowledge transfer, lessons learned, etc. throughout the ADBC program.
 +
| Rich Rabeler
 +
|}
 +
|
 +
|
 +
|
 +
|
 +
|
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''2:40-3:10'''
 
| style="background-color: lightyellow;" | '''Afternoon Break (provided)'''
 
| style="background-color: lightyellow;" | '''Afternoon Break (provided)'''
 
|  
 
|  
Line 317: Line 350:
 
|  
 
|  
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''2:50-4:00'''
+
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''3:10-4:00'''
 
|  
 
|  
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''Plenary Session IV'''
+
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''Plenary Session V'''
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
! colspan="3" | Group Discussion
+
! colspan="2" | Group Discussion
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
+
| 2:50-3:20
+
| Panel Discussion with Retired TCNs
+
| Rich Rabeler
+
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| 3:20-4:00
+
| '''[https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/ADBC_Next_Gen_Discussion_Summit_2018.pdf Harnessing Natural History Collections Data for Addressing National Challenges]'''<br>
| Harnessing Natural History Collections Data for Addressing National Challenges
+
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HRdG6fjkoaKzHNb6rmWbhep6lUIcfhDL4FPPePjP4Qg/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 +
This session is intended to elicit information for a stakeholder vision of how to maximize the value of biodiversity collections data for collections management, research, and education in the future. BCoN is coordinating the development of this vision in response to requests from NSF and others to inform the development of a new funding program to succeed NSF’s current ADBC program. The Biodiversity Collections Network (BCoN) wants your very specific and succinct contributions to a wish list of future activities or functions for collections and data, and recommendations on how to achieve them.  You will be provided a hard copy of a few questions upon check-in. Please bring your completed form to the session and share your responses!  You will be asked to hand in your form at the end of the session. Alternatively, record your responses digitally using this Google Form: https://goo.gl/forms/SsbyuP75ZuKSL4av2
 
| Barbara Thiers
 
| Barbara Thiers
 
|}
 
|}
Line 339: Line 369:
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''4:00-4:30'''
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''4:00-4:30'''
 
|  
 
|  
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''Day 1 Wrap-Up'''&ensp;''Shari Ellis''
+
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''[https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/Wrapup_Day1_Summit_2018.pdf Day 1 Wrap-Up]'''&ensp;''Shari Ellis''
 
|  
 
|  
 
|  
 
|  
Line 360: Line 390:
 
| Arrival, heavy hors d'oeuvres, cash bar
 
| Arrival, heavy hors d'oeuvres, cash bar
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| 7:30-7:45
+
| '''7:30-7:45'''
| Welcome by Roland Roberts, NSF Program Director and BIO Centers Science Advisor
+
| '''Welcome''' ''by Roland Roberts, NSF Program Director and BIO Centers Science Advisor''
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| 7:45-8:00
+
| '''7:45-8:00'''
| Presentation TBD
+
| '''[https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-1/Reception_Summit_2018.pdf International Opportunities for Enhancing and Expanding our Reach]''' ''by Deborah Paul, iDigBio Digitization and Workforce Training Specialist''
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 8:00-9:30
 
| 8:00-9:30
Line 390: Line 420:
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''8:15-8:45'''
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''8:15-8:45'''
| style="background-color: lightyellow;" | '''Arrival, coffee, networking'''
+
| style="background-color: lightyellow;" | '''Arrival, networking, coffee, light refreshments'''
 
|  
 
|  
 
| style="background-color: black;" | Not available
 
| style="background-color: black;" | Not available
 
| style="background-color: black;" | Not available
 
| style="background-color: black;" | Not available
 +
|
 +
|
 
| '''Biotic Associations: Informal Open Session I'''<br>
 
| '''Biotic Associations: Informal Open Session I'''<br>
The primary purpose of the meeting is to discuss how existing species interaction datasets are structured and how to increase our ability to generate aggregate datasets and examine networks of interactions. The ADBC program has promoted the mobilization of tens of millions of specimen-level data in natural history collections in the United States and many of these datasets contain rich species interaction data. During the first meeting Jorrit Poelen (Global Biotic Interactions, GloBI) and Katja Seltmann (UC Santa Barbara, Parasite Tracker) will present a recent Vampire Moth (Calyptra) interaction data use case, setting the stage for open discussion that will likely carry through the second meeting. We encourage participants to submit interaction datasets before the meeting so that they can be discussed as use cases. You can describe, point to, or share, your datasets by opening a new issue via https://tinyurl.com/shareInteractionData .  You can also see how GitHub issues are used to openly discuss how to share specific existing biotic association datasets.
+
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oeAR5ETRAg_NQjv9qz3Oa-OT4NDkEAL6PXo_9gOaD5w/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
|
+
The primary purpose of the meeting is to discuss how existing species interaction datasets are structured and how to increase our ability to generate aggregate datasets and examine networks of interactions. The ADBC program has promoted the mobilization of tens of millions of specimen-level data in natural history collections in the United States and many of these datasets contain rich species interaction data. During the first meeting Jorrit Poelen (Global Biotic Interactions, GloBI) and Katja Seltmann (UC Santa Barbara, Parasite Tracker) will present a recent Vampire Moth (Calyptra) interaction data use case, setting the stage for open discussion that will likely carry through the second meeting. We encourage participants to submit interaction datasets before the meeting so that they can be discussed as use cases. You can describe, point to, or share, your datasets by opening a new issue via https://tinyurl.com/shareInteractionData .  You can also see how GitHub issues are used to openly discuss how to share specific existing biotic association datasets.  
|
+
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''8:45-10:20'''
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''8:45-10:20'''
 
|  
 
|  
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''Plenary Session V'''
+
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''Plenary Session VI'''
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
! colspan="3" | Opening
 
! colspan="3" | Opening
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 8:45-9:00
 
| 8:45-9:00
| Logistics
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-2/01-Logistics_Day2_Summit_2018.pdf Logistics]
 
| David Jennings
 
| David Jennings
 
|}
 
|}
Line 413: Line 444:
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 9:00-9:20
 
| 9:00-9:20
| GBIO, GBIC2, and GBIF
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-2/02-ADBC_GBIO-GBIC2-GBIF_Summit_2018.pdf GBIO, GBIC2, and GBIF]
 
| Donald Hobern
 
| Donald Hobern
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 9:20-9:40
 
| 9:20-9:40
| Activities at the Atlas of Living Australia
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-2/03-ALA_Update_Summit_2018.mp4 Activities at the Atlas of Living Australia]
 
| Hamish Holewa
 
| Hamish Holewa
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 9:40-10:00
 
| 9:40-10:00
| Sustaining the ADBC Initiative
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-2/04-ADBC_Sustainability_Summit_2018.pdf Sustaining the ADBC Initiative]
 
| Gil Nelson
 
| Gil Nelson
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| 10:00-10:20
 
| 10:00-10:20
| UF/FLMNH Commitment to the Sustainability of iDigBio
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-2/05-TIES_Summit_2018.pdf UF/FLMNH Commitment to the Sustainability of iDigBio]
 
| Doug Jones
 
| Doug Jones
 
|}
 
|}
Line 439: Line 470:
 
| style="background-color: black;" | Not available
 
| style="background-color: black;" | Not available
 
| style="background-color: black;" | Not available
 
| style="background-color: black;" | Not available
 +
|
 +
|
 
| '''Biotic Associations: Informal Open Session II'''<br>
 
| '''Biotic Associations: Informal Open Session II'''<br>
The primary purpose of the meeting is to discuss how existing species interaction datasets are structured and how to increase our ability to generate aggregate datasets and examine networks of interactions.
+
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oeAR5ETRAg_NQjv9qz3Oa-OT4NDkEAL6PXo_9gOaD5w/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
|
+
The primary purpose of the meeting is to discuss how existing species interaction datasets are structured and how to increase our ability to generate aggregate datasets and examine networks of interactions.
|
+
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| rowspan="2" style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''10:45-12:00'''
 
| rowspan="2" style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''10:45-12:00'''
Line 448: Line 480:
 
| colspan="6" style="background-color: lightblue;" | '''Concurrent Session I'''
 
| colspan="6" style="background-color: lightblue;" | '''Concurrent Session I'''
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| '''Demos &amp; Innovations I'''&ensp;''Matt Collins''
+
| '''Demos &amp; Innovations I'''&ensp;''Matt Collins''<br>
 +
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FL53OzJfTa75qVP1E7E8ERLyEJmhcpMLo5JS_fRGmmo/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
! colspan="2" | Agenda
 
! colspan="2" | Agenda
Line 455: Line 488:
 
| Joe Miller
 
| Joe Miller
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| Light Box Design
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-2/Demos-and-Innovations/Skema_FineFocus_demo.pdf Focus Issues in Herbarium Imaging & Light Box Design]
 
| Cindy Skema
 
| Cindy Skema
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| iDigBio API
+
| [https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-2/Demos-and-Innovations/Summit2018_iDigBio_API.pdf iDigBio API]
 
| Richard Garand
 
| Richard Garand
 
|}
 
|}
 
|  '''Symbiota2 Overview'''&ensp;''Neil Cobb''<br>
 
|  '''Symbiota2 Overview'''&ensp;''Neil Cobb''<br>
 +
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zPyqS5YogQUe2rWQz5v33wvjd9Q-6hB-nIeVm3e-Ot8/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 
This first session will cover upcoming software developments and outreach plans for the Symbiota NSF-ABI project.
 
This first session will cover upcoming software developments and outreach plans for the Symbiota NSF-ABI project.
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
Line 490: Line 524:
 
| Virtual
 
| Virtual
 
|}
 
|}
| '''Specify Collections Consortium I'''&ensp;''Jim Beach''
+
| '''Specify Collections Consortium I'''&ensp;''Jim Beach &amp; Norine Spears''<br>
| '''Communicating Science'''&ensp;''Natasza Fontaine &amp; Austin Mast''
+
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v3fA5fobPXxXbc-6n4bUB_4TcDprOBZ9JrCvjgOp81M/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
| '''Challenges in Research Use of Data'''&ensp;''Pam Soltis''
+
'''Speakers:''' Jim Beach, Norine Spears, Founding Members<br>
 +
'''Mode:''' Presentations, Q&A with Local and Remote Participants, Live Streaming<br>
 +
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 +
! colspan="1" | Agenda
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| The Successful Creation of Specify Collections Consortium (SCC)
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| SCC Vision: Mobilizing Collections Data with Collaborative, Open Source Software
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| SCC as a Sustainable Non-Profit for the Long Run – Organizational Model
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| Founding Member Perspectives--in Their Own Words
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| Board of Directors – Members and Roles
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| Research and Technical Committees, Members and Roles
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| Key Roles of Technical Liaisons
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| SCC Current Technical Collaborations, U.S. and International
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| International Engagement and Recognition
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| Q&A
 +
|}
 +
| '''Communicating Biodiversity Science in Popular and Social Media'''&ensp;''Natasza Fontaine &amp; Austin Mast''<br>
 +
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kw4goTd7ADZ7ELnJSronIkQ0oXkS11qRnB2wLpVy3kk/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 +
Panelists (David Blackburn, Robert Gropp, Barbara Thiers, Erin Tripp, Natalie van Hoose, and Matt von Konrat) will address questions regarding (1) personal goals for communicating biodiversity science in popular and/or social media, (2) metrics with which to measure successful attainment of those goals, (3) community prioritization of this form of science communication, (4) factors (e.g., strategies and partners) critical to success in this area, and (5) impediments to success.  Other participants in the breakout will be encouraged to pose follow-up questions or share from their own experience.
 +
| '''Building Institutional Digitization Synergy'''&ensp;''Kevin Love, Deborah Paul, &amp; Larry Page''<br>
 +
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Hnua7HDXCDCPCa5zaVMsem4I18yD47IMWsi_EZgo4ks/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 +
Data mobilization doesn’t (have to) stop when digitization is complete or grant funds have been exhausted. In this discussion group, we will explore how efforts, like a local digitization committee or leveraging institutional resources and policy, can inspire data mobilization across your collaborators' institutions.
 
|  
 
|  
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
Line 507: Line 571:
 
| colspan="6" style="background-color: lightblue;" | '''Concurrent Session II'''
 
| colspan="6" style="background-color: lightblue;" | '''Concurrent Session II'''
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| '''Demos &amp; Innovations II'''&ensp;''Matt Collins''
+
| '''Demos &amp; Innovations II'''&ensp;''Matt Collins''<br>
 +
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FL53OzJfTa75qVP1E7E8ERLyEJmhcpMLo5JS_fRGmmo/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
! colspan="2" | Agenda
 
! colspan="2" | Agenda
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| ADBC Education Resources
+
| ADBC Education Resources / WeDigBio
| Molly Phillips
+
| Molly Phillips / Austin Mast
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| BiotaPhy web platform
 
| BiotaPhy web platform
| Pam Soltis
+
| Ryan Folk
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| Analytical tools
 
| Analytical tools
| Pam Soltis
+
| Anthony Melton &amp; Shelly Gaynor
 
|}
 
|}
 
| '''Symbiota Portals & Software Tools'''&ensp;''Neil Cobb''<br>
 
| '''Symbiota Portals & Software Tools'''&ensp;''Neil Cobb''<br>
 +
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zPyqS5YogQUe2rWQz5v33wvjd9Q-6hB-nIeVm3e-Ot8/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 
This second session will feature presentations on new efforts to expand TCN portals and the creation of synthetic Symbiota portals. It will also include new developments for projects that integrate with Symbiota (e.g., GeoLocate).
 
This second session will feature presentations on new efforts to expand TCN portals and the creation of synthetic Symbiota portals. It will also include new developments for projects that integrate with Symbiota (e.g., GeoLocate).
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
Line 549: Line 615:
 
| In-person
 
| In-person
 
|}
 
|}
| '''Specify Collections Consortium II'''&ensp;''Jim Beach''
+
| '''Specify Collections Consortium II'''&ensp;''Jim Beach &amp; Norine Spears''<br>
| '''Communicating with Administrators'''&ensp;''Gil Nelson &amp; David Jennings''
+
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v3fA5fobPXxXbc-6n4bUB_4TcDprOBZ9JrCvjgOp81M/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 +
'''Speakers:''' Jim Beach, Norine Spears, Local and Remote Speakers, Live Streaming<br>
 +
'''Mode:''' Short Presentations, Partner Vignettes, Interactive Discussion<br>
 +
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 +
! colspan="1" | Agenda
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| SCC Technology and Services,  Near Term Road Map
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| Specify's Evolving Capabilities, Supporting Collaborative Computing
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| Future User Requirements--Discussion and Feedback
 +
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 +
| Wrap Up and Next Steps for the Consortium
 +
|}
 +
|'''Broadening Participation'''&ensp;''Kari Jordan''<br>
 +
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xz73a022DUHBW-bUCGKpFqjiraLeNCIS0w2eblVhDH0/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 +
What must be done to make you feel that your work is engaging, and you're part of a community? If you are looking for concrete, evidence-based approaches to community building and broadening participation, this session is for you. We will cover simple strategies to gather baseline metrics and assess outreach and engagement, all for the purposes of recruiting, retaining, and broadening participation of communities underserved in Biology, Museum Collection, Geology, IT, Bioinformatics, and other STEM disciplines. You don’t want to miss it!
 
| '''Innovation &amp; Unconference'''&ensp;''Deborah Paul''<br>
 
| '''Innovation &amp; Unconference'''&ensp;''Deborah Paul''<br>
 +
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/17rE-cCullJH12rSWEq5EGrruWP8_NoCiITSYHE0Hcrg/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 
Bring your inspirations from recent experiences, conversations. and presentations at ADBC Summit 8 to this breakout. We will gather ideas and find others with innovative ideas and expertise to share. An unconference gives you the chance to design your own breakout and bring timely topics that are on your mind - to a larger group.
 
Bring your inspirations from recent experiences, conversations. and presentations at ADBC Summit 8 to this breakout. We will gather ideas and find others with innovative ideas and expertise to share. An unconference gives you the chance to design your own breakout and bring timely topics that are on your mind - to a larger group.
 
|  
 
|  
Line 568: Line 651:
 
| colspan="6" style="background-color: lightblue;" | '''Concurrent Session III'''
 
| colspan="6" style="background-color: lightblue;" | '''Concurrent Session III'''
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
| '''Building Institutional Digitization Synergy'''&ensp;''Kevin Love, Deborah Paul, &amp; Larry Page''<br>
+
| '''Communicating with Administrators'''&ensp;''Gil Nelson &amp; David Jennings''<br>
Data mobilization doesn’t (have to) stop when digitization is complete or grant funds have been exhausted. In this discussion group, we will explore how efforts, like a local digitization committee or leveraging institutional resources and policy, can inspire data mobilization across your collaborators' institutions.
+
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SO_pvfLV948tnOb_UzVKEL9A5ioIHnxX9YnLJSzFVXU/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 +
Keeping administrators abreast of your collection’s activities and its importance to your institution’s mission is critical to ensuring long-term support and positive internal relations. Knowing which metrics count and how best to express them as well as how to open and maintain avenues for positive communications with the administrative team is essential. This session will begin with brief opening remarks before transitioning into open discussion and sharing of successful techniques and strategies. We are pleased that Barbara Thiers and Bruce MacFadden, both with deep experience working with administrators at several levels, have agreed to join us as co-moderators.<br><br>
 +
[https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-2/Communicating-with-Administrators/Summit-2018-An-Introduction-to-Communicating-with-Administrators.pdf An Introduction to Communicating with Administrators] by David Jennings
 
| '''Georeferencing tools and practical considerations from two TCN projects'''&ensp;''Andrew Miller &amp; Michael Denslow''<br>
 
| '''Georeferencing tools and practical considerations from two TCN projects'''&ensp;''Andrew Miller &amp; Michael Denslow''<br>
 +
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xj_hZmDK-R_Evgw7PGa6KCeNYxZobX4_ayJwC-yc9NA/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 
We will discuss various aspects of georeferencing as it relates to TCNs. Topics will include facilitating collaborative georeferencing, error rates and tools for working with georeferenced museum metadata.
 
We will discuss various aspects of georeferencing as it relates to TCNs. Topics will include facilitating collaborative georeferencing, error rates and tools for working with georeferenced museum metadata.
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
 
{| class="mw-collapsible wikitable"
! colspan="2" | Talks (15 min each, order TBD)
+
! colspan="3" | Talks (15 min each, order TBD)
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| Brief Introduction
 
| Brief Introduction
 
| Michael and/or Andy
 
| Michael and/or Andy
 +
| In-person
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| Error rates in batch georeferencing: an example from Illinois
 
| Error rates in batch georeferencing: an example from Illinois
 
| Andrew Miller
 
| Andrew Miller
 +
| In-person
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| Building collaborative georeferencing communities: an example from University of South Carolina
 
| Building collaborative georeferencing communities: an example from University of South Carolina
 
| Herrick Brown
 
| Herrick Brown
 +
| In-person
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| An example of “first pass” georeferencing from the SERNEC - TCN
 
| An example of “first pass” georeferencing from the SERNEC - TCN
 
| Nelson Rios
 
| Nelson Rios
 +
| In-person
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| Tools for visualizing georeferenced museum specimen metadata
 
| Tools for visualizing georeferenced museum specimen metadata
 
| Michael Denslow
 
| Michael Denslow
 +
| In-person
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| Discussion
 
| Discussion
 
| All
 
| All
 +
| In-person
 
|}
 
|}
 
| '''Data Quality Feedback'''&ensp;''Richard Garand &amp; Deborah Paul''<br>
 
| '''Data Quality Feedback'''&ensp;''Richard Garand &amp; Deborah Paul''<br>
 +
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/171CknrnE8JQD2sAhukxYqXCGS-9YGSrdJ_z7p1UHveY/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 
Quality data is essential as a foundation for analytical, synthetic, and AI research. Anyone providing data to an aggregator or downloading data from an aggregator can make use of the data quality feedback offered. If you use this information, we would like to hear about how you use it (or not) and ways in which all of us can work on improving data quality (dq). From researcher, policy maker, graduate student, collection manager, curator, educator, and museum director, we all have a role to play. We also plan to share some of what we learned from a recent survey and symposium at SPNHC-TDWGNZ -- on this topic. And, we'll share some ideas for possible future changes to dq feedback from iDigBio as well as recent progress from the TDWG Data Quality Interest Group and iDigBio implementation plans.
 
Quality data is essential as a foundation for analytical, synthetic, and AI research. Anyone providing data to an aggregator or downloading data from an aggregator can make use of the data quality feedback offered. If you use this information, we would like to hear about how you use it (or not) and ways in which all of us can work on improving data quality (dq). From researcher, policy maker, graduate student, collection manager, curator, educator, and museum director, we all have a role to play. We also plan to share some of what we learned from a recent survey and symposium at SPNHC-TDWGNZ -- on this topic. And, we'll share some ideas for possible future changes to dq feedback from iDigBio as well as recent progress from the TDWG Data Quality Interest Group and iDigBio implementation plans.
| '''Broadening Participation'''&ensp;''Molly Phillips &amp; Kari Jordan''
+
| '''Challenges in Research Use of Data'''&ensp;''Bruce Lieberman, Matt Collins &amp; Pam Soltis''<br>
 +
[https://docs.google.com/document/d/16x4g0Bf9KYJH3VcuzNSBhCAG0-Cn0Mjd329AWIm2ZeM/edit?usp=sharing Session Notes]<br>
 +
We now have millions of digitized specimen records available for use in research, education, and other applications. Yet researchers face many challenges as they attempt to use these data. In this session, we will discuss ongoing challenges of data completeness, data quality, and fitness for use and possible solutions. We will also explore novel data types extracted from digitized specimen records – whether text or images – and consider community needs for effective use of these data in research.
 
|  
 
|  
 
|  
 
|  
Line 604: Line 699:
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''4:10-4:30'''
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''4:10-4:30'''
 
|  
 
|  
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''Summit Wrap-Up'''&ensp;''David Jennings''
+
| style="background-color: lightgreen;" | '''[https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/Day-2/Wrapup_Day2_Summit_2018.pdf Summit Wrap-Up]'''&ensp;''David Jennings''
 
|  
 
|  
 
|  
 
|  
Line 626: Line 721:
 
| '''One-day R Workshop'''<br>
 
| '''One-day R Workshop'''<br>
 
<span style="float:right;"><gallery mode="traditional">
 
<span style="float:right;"><gallery mode="traditional">
 +
File:UFBI_logo.jpg | [https://biodiversity.institute.ufl.edu/ UF Biodiversity Institute]
 
File:UFIILogo.jpg | [https://informatics.institute.ufl.edu/ UF Informatics Institute]
 
File:UFIILogo.jpg | [https://informatics.institute.ufl.edu/ UF Informatics Institute]
 +
File:DC_logo_vision.png|[http://www.datacarpentry.org/ Data Carpentry]
 
</gallery></span>
 
</gallery></span>
 
The [https://www.uf-carpentry.org/ UF Carpentries Club] is offering a one day workshop to help the UF community get started learning [https://www.r-project.org/ R]. Need to learn some programming for a class? Have data you're scared to work with in Excel? Want to collaborate effectively with your peers? We were there once too. Come start learning with us. Space is limited to 24 participants for this workshop and '''registration is required'''. A fee of $23.00 will be charged and lunch will be provided. Please plan on attending the entire time. '''Details and registration are on the workshop web site: https://uf-carpentry.github.io/2018-10-04-ufii-one-day/''' Early registration for ADBC summit attendees is now open (9/10/2018), please email mcollins@acis.ufl.edu for a direct link.
 
The [https://www.uf-carpentry.org/ UF Carpentries Club] is offering a one day workshop to help the UF community get started learning [https://www.r-project.org/ R]. Need to learn some programming for a class? Have data you're scared to work with in Excel? Want to collaborate effectively with your peers? We were there once too. Come start learning with us. Space is limited to 24 participants for this workshop and '''registration is required'''. A fee of $23.00 will be charged and lunch will be provided. Please plan on attending the entire time. '''Details and registration are on the workshop web site: https://uf-carpentry.github.io/2018-10-04-ufii-one-day/''' Early registration for ADBC summit attendees is now open (9/10/2018), please email mcollins@acis.ufl.edu for a direct link.
Line 639: Line 736:
 
* Fee: None
 
* Fee: None
 
* Where to meet: Hilton Lobby
 
* Where to meet: Hilton Lobby
* When: 8 AM pickup; 11 AM dropoff or arrange for ground transport from park directly to airport as needed
+
* When: 8 AM pickup; 11 AM dropoff at the Hilton Hotel or arrange for ground transport from park directly to airport as needed
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''3'''
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''3'''
Line 646: Line 743:
 
File:FM_logo_stacked_CMYK.png | [https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu Florida Museum]
 
File:FM_logo_stacked_CMYK.png | [https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu Florida Museum]
 
</gallery></span>
 
</gallery></span>
Details TBD
+
If you are interesting in visiting the collections, please contact Randy Singer at rsinger@flmnh.ufl.edu. 
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
|- style="vertical-align: top;"
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''4'''
 
| style="background-color: lightgray;" | '''4'''
Line 662: Line 759:
 
|}
 
|}
  
= Report and Evaluation =
+
= Report, Evaluation, and Photos =
  
= Photos =
+
[https://www.idigbio.org/content/adbc-summit-2018-report-0 ADBC Summit 2018 Report]
 +
 
 +
[https://www.facebook.com/pg/iDigBio/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2025919540785315 ADBC Summit 2018 Photo Album]
 +
 
 +
[https://www.idigbio.org/sites/default/files/workshop-presentations/summit8/ADBC_Summit_VIII_Report_Final.pdf ADBC Summit 2018 Evaluation]
  
 
= Recorded Proceedings =
 
= Recorded Proceedings =
 +
You can view all of the recorded proceedings via the University of Florida Mediasite catalog:
 +
 +
https://mediasite.video.ufl.edu/Mediasite/Catalog/catalogs/-adbc-summit-2018

Latest revision as of 12:46, 31 January 2019


Digitizing the Past and Present for the Future
Digitizing-for-the-future.jpg
ADBC Summit VIII Quick Links
Calendar Announcement
Registration Form
General Information
Agenda

Join the leading researchers and professionals striving to digitize our nation's Natural History Collections! The annual ADBC Summit brings together representatives from TCNs, PENs, NSF, iDigBio, and other initiatives related to the U.S. National Science Foundation’s Advancing Digitization of Biodiversity Collections (ADBC) program. The Summit inspires collaboration and focuses discussions on shared goals, challenges, and opportunities.

General Information

Maps & Dining Information

Area Information

Ground Transportation Options

Special Accommodations

  • Nursing mothers needing accommodations should contact Shari Ellis at sellis@ufl.edu for assistance.
  • Individuals needing assistance with ground transportation from the Hilton to the Cultural Plaza should speak with Hilton front desk staff.

Wireless Service

Wireless access for onsite participants is provided by the University of Florida: https://getonline.ufl.edu/

Remote Access

To the extent possible, the Summit sessions will be broadcast and recorded using the University of Florida Mediasite service. If you wish to listen to the meeting remotely, visit the Mediasite catalog here:

https://mediasite.video.ufl.edu/Mediasite/Catalog/catalogs/-adbc-summit-2018

Agenda

Monday, October 1, 2018 -- Orientation and Pre-Summit Meetings

Time Powell Classroom (Front) Powell Classroom (Middle) McGuire Classroom McGuire Director's Conference Room
7:00-9:00 Breakfast on your own
9:00-11:00 Orientation to ADBC by the iDigBio Team

Join us for an orientation session presented by the iDigBio core team. Everyone is welcome! Come to learn, to refresh, and to meet your fellow digitizers! We will cover topics including:

  1. What ADBC and iDigBio are about, the acronyms, the scope
  2. How you can get involved by participating in interest and working groups, community surveys, and useful website content
  3. How to get specimen data to us, the first time and with every update
  4. Ways to interact with us - listservs, meet the staff
  5. Forum for suggestions to make all of this better
11:00-1:00 Lunch on your own
1:00-3:00 TCN Kickoff Meetings Session I
Endless Forms Pteridological Collections Consortium California Phenology iDigBio External Advisory BoardClosed Session
Agenda
1:00-1:30 EAB pre-meeting
1:30-3:00 EAB meeting with iDigBio
3:00-3:30 Afternoon break (provided)
3:30-5:00 TCN Kickoff Meetings Session II
Endless Forms Pteridological Collections Consortium California Phenology iDigBio External Advisory BoardClosed Session
Agenda
3:30-5:00 Working time for EAB
5:00 Adjourn
6:30-9:30 Informal welcome and meet & greet with iDigBio staffNo Name Lounge inside the Hilton


Tuesday, October 2, 2018 -- Summit Day 1

Time Harn Galleria Harn Chandler Auditorium Harn Classroom 1 Harn Classroom 2 Powell Classroom McGuire Classroom McGuire Director's Conference Room
7:00-9:00 Breakfast on your own
8:15-9:00 Arrival, Summit check-in, networking, coffee, light refreshments Not available Not available
9:00-10:15 Plenary Session I
Opening & Welcome
9:00-9:15 Opening & Welcome Larry Page
9:15-9:30 ADBC Program Update Reed Beaman
9:30-9:45 Logistics David Jennings
New TCN Introductions
9:45-10:00 California Phenology Jenn Yost
10:00-10:15 Pteridological Collections Consortium Carl Rothfels
10:15-10:30 Endless Forms Matthew Pace
Not available Not available
10:30-11:00 Morning Break (provided) Not available Not available
11:00-12:00 Plenary Session II
TCN Updates
11:00-11:15 Paleoniches & Cretaceous World Bruce Lieberman
11:15-11:25 Fossil Insect Collaborative Erica Krimmel
11:25-11:40 SCAN & LepNet Neil Cobb
11:40-11:50 Fossil Marine Invertebrates Pat Holroyd
11:50-12:00 InvertEBase Rudiger Bieler
Not available Not available
12:00-12:15 Group Photo
12:15-1:00 Lunch (provided)
1:00-2:10 Plenary Session III
TCN Updates cont.
1:00-1:10 Microfungi Andrew Miller
1:10-1:20 Macroalgae Chris Neefus
1:20-1:30 SERNEC Michael Denslow
1:30-1:40 MAM Cindy Skema
1:40-1:50 SoRo Erin Tripp
1:50-2:00 Great Lakes Invasives Ken Cameron
2:00-2:10 oVert David Blackburn
2:10-2:40 Plenary Session IV
Group Discussion
Panel Discussion with Retired TCNs

Session Notes
This is a panel discussion with members of retired TCNs that are in attendance. This session is intended to facilitate and propagate knowledge transfer, lessons learned, etc. throughout the ADBC program.

Rich Rabeler
2:40-3:10 Afternoon Break (provided)
3:10-4:00 Plenary Session V
Group Discussion
Harnessing Natural History Collections Data for Addressing National Challenges

Session Notes
This session is intended to elicit information for a stakeholder vision of how to maximize the value of biodiversity collections data for collections management, research, and education in the future. BCoN is coordinating the development of this vision in response to requests from NSF and others to inform the development of a new funding program to succeed NSF’s current ADBC program. The Biodiversity Collections Network (BCoN) wants your very specific and succinct contributions to a wish list of future activities or functions for collections and data, and recommendations on how to achieve them. You will be provided a hard copy of a few questions upon check-in. Please bring your completed form to the session and share your responses! You will be asked to hand in your form at the end of the session. Alternatively, record your responses digitally using this Google Form: https://goo.gl/forms/SsbyuP75ZuKSL4av2

Barbara Thiers
4:00-4:30 Day 1 Wrap-UpShari Ellis
4:30 Adjourn
6:30-9:30 Evening at the Florida MuseumPowell Hall
Program
6:30-7:30 Arrival, heavy hors d'oeuvres, cash bar
7:30-7:45 Welcome by Roland Roberts, NSF Program Director and BIO Centers Science Advisor
7:45-8:00 International Opportunities for Enhancing and Expanding our Reach by Deborah Paul, iDigBio Digitization and Workforce Training Specialist
8:00-9:30 Museum exhibits open for your enjoyment

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 -- Summit Day 2

Time Harn Galleria Harn Chandler Auditorium Harn Classroom 1 Harn Classroom 2 Powell Classroom McGuire Classroom McGuire Director's Conference Room
7:00-8:45 Breakfast on your own
8:15-8:45 Arrival, networking, coffee, light refreshments Not available Not available Biotic Associations: Informal Open Session I

Session Notes
The primary purpose of the meeting is to discuss how existing species interaction datasets are structured and how to increase our ability to generate aggregate datasets and examine networks of interactions. The ADBC program has promoted the mobilization of tens of millions of specimen-level data in natural history collections in the United States and many of these datasets contain rich species interaction data. During the first meeting Jorrit Poelen (Global Biotic Interactions, GloBI) and Katja Seltmann (UC Santa Barbara, Parasite Tracker) will present a recent Vampire Moth (Calyptra) interaction data use case, setting the stage for open discussion that will likely carry through the second meeting. We encourage participants to submit interaction datasets before the meeting so that they can be discussed as use cases. You can describe, point to, or share, your datasets by opening a new issue via https://tinyurl.com/shareInteractionData . You can also see how GitHub issues are used to openly discuss how to share specific existing biotic association datasets.

8:45-10:20 Plenary Session VI
Opening
8:45-9:00 Logistics David Jennings
Evolving Relationships
9:00-9:20 GBIO, GBIC2, and GBIF Donald Hobern
9:20-9:40 Activities at the Atlas of Living Australia Hamish Holewa
9:40-10:00 Sustaining the ADBC Initiative Gil Nelson
10:00-10:20 UF/FLMNH Commitment to the Sustainability of iDigBio Doug Jones
Not available Not available
10:20-10:45 Morning Break (provided) Not available Not available Biotic Associations: Informal Open Session II

Session Notes
The primary purpose of the meeting is to discuss how existing species interaction datasets are structured and how to increase our ability to generate aggregate datasets and examine networks of interactions.

10:45-12:00 Concurrent Session I
Demos & Innovations IMatt Collins

Session Notes

Agenda
PhyloLink Joe Miller
Focus Issues in Herbarium Imaging & Light Box Design Cindy Skema
iDigBio API Richard Garand
Symbiota2 OverviewNeil Cobb

Session Notes
This first session will cover upcoming software developments and outreach plans for the Symbiota NSF-ABI project.

Agenda
Symbiota - Part 1 Curtis Dyreson Virtual
Symbiota - Part 2 Ben Brandt Virtual
Phylogeny and Phenology Plugin Will Pearse Virtual
Mobilizing data in developing countries: Pakistan & Somaliland Mary Barkworth Virtual
Technical Support and Outreach Neil Cobb & Lindsie McCabe In-person
Fieldguide Andre Poremski Virtual
Specify Collections Consortium IJim Beach & Norine Spears

Session Notes
Speakers: Jim Beach, Norine Spears, Founding Members
Mode: Presentations, Q&A with Local and Remote Participants, Live Streaming

Agenda
The Successful Creation of Specify Collections Consortium (SCC)
SCC Vision: Mobilizing Collections Data with Collaborative, Open Source Software
SCC as a Sustainable Non-Profit for the Long Run – Organizational Model
Founding Member Perspectives--in Their Own Words
Board of Directors – Members and Roles
Research and Technical Committees, Members and Roles
Key Roles of Technical Liaisons
SCC Current Technical Collaborations, U.S. and International
International Engagement and Recognition
Q&A
Communicating Biodiversity Science in Popular and Social MediaNatasza Fontaine & Austin Mast

Session Notes
Panelists (David Blackburn, Robert Gropp, Barbara Thiers, Erin Tripp, Natalie van Hoose, and Matt von Konrat) will address questions regarding (1) personal goals for communicating biodiversity science in popular and/or social media, (2) metrics with which to measure successful attainment of those goals, (3) community prioritization of this form of science communication, (4) factors (e.g., strategies and partners) critical to success in this area, and (5) impediments to success. Other participants in the breakout will be encouraged to pose follow-up questions or share from their own experience.

Building Institutional Digitization SynergyKevin Love, Deborah Paul, & Larry Page

Session Notes
Data mobilization doesn’t (have to) stop when digitization is complete or grant funds have been exhausted. In this discussion group, we will explore how efforts, like a local digitization committee or leveraging institutional resources and policy, can inspire data mobilization across your collaborators' institutions.

12:00-1:00 Lunch (provided)
1:00-2:15 Concurrent Session II
Demos & Innovations IIMatt Collins

Session Notes

Agenda
ADBC Education Resources / WeDigBio Molly Phillips / Austin Mast
BiotaPhy web platform Ryan Folk
Analytical tools Anthony Melton & Shelly Gaynor
Symbiota Portals & Software ToolsNeil Cobb

Session Notes
This second session will feature presentations on new efforts to expand TCN portals and the creation of synthetic Symbiota portals. It will also include new developments for projects that integrate with Symbiota (e.g., GeoLocate).

Agenda
Biotic Associations: GLoBI Jorrit Poelen In-person
PhyloLink Joe Miller In-person
Geolocate Nelson Rios In-person
GenBank linkage Andrew Miller In-person
Creating a multi-phyla Symbiota portal for U of Wisconsin collections Laura Prado In-person
Developing a Global Mycology Portal Scott Bates In-person
Specify Collections Consortium IIJim Beach & Norine Spears

Session Notes
Speakers: Jim Beach, Norine Spears, Local and Remote Speakers, Live Streaming
Mode: Short Presentations, Partner Vignettes, Interactive Discussion

Agenda
SCC Technology and Services, Near Term Road Map
Specify's Evolving Capabilities, Supporting Collaborative Computing
Future User Requirements--Discussion and Feedback
Wrap Up and Next Steps for the Consortium
Broadening ParticipationKari Jordan

Session Notes
What must be done to make you feel that your work is engaging, and you're part of a community? If you are looking for concrete, evidence-based approaches to community building and broadening participation, this session is for you. We will cover simple strategies to gather baseline metrics and assess outreach and engagement, all for the purposes of recruiting, retaining, and broadening participation of communities underserved in Biology, Museum Collection, Geology, IT, Bioinformatics, and other STEM disciplines. You don’t want to miss it!

Innovation & UnconferenceDeborah Paul

Session Notes
Bring your inspirations from recent experiences, conversations. and presentations at ADBC Summit 8 to this breakout. We will gather ideas and find others with innovative ideas and expertise to share. An unconference gives you the chance to design your own breakout and bring timely topics that are on your mind - to a larger group.

2:15-2:45 Afternoon Break (provided) Afternoon Break (provided)
2:45-4:00 Concurrent Session III
Communicating with AdministratorsGil Nelson & David Jennings

Session Notes
Keeping administrators abreast of your collection’s activities and its importance to your institution’s mission is critical to ensuring long-term support and positive internal relations. Knowing which metrics count and how best to express them as well as how to open and maintain avenues for positive communications with the administrative team is essential. This session will begin with brief opening remarks before transitioning into open discussion and sharing of successful techniques and strategies. We are pleased that Barbara Thiers and Bruce MacFadden, both with deep experience working with administrators at several levels, have agreed to join us as co-moderators.

An Introduction to Communicating with Administrators by David Jennings

Georeferencing tools and practical considerations from two TCN projectsAndrew Miller & Michael Denslow

Session Notes
We will discuss various aspects of georeferencing as it relates to TCNs. Topics will include facilitating collaborative georeferencing, error rates and tools for working with georeferenced museum metadata.

Talks (15 min each, order TBD)
Brief Introduction Michael and/or Andy In-person
Error rates in batch georeferencing: an example from Illinois Andrew Miller In-person
Building collaborative georeferencing communities: an example from University of South Carolina Herrick Brown In-person
An example of “first pass” georeferencing from the SERNEC - TCN Nelson Rios In-person
Tools for visualizing georeferenced museum specimen metadata Michael Denslow In-person
Discussion All In-person
Data Quality FeedbackRichard Garand & Deborah Paul

Session Notes
Quality data is essential as a foundation for analytical, synthetic, and AI research. Anyone providing data to an aggregator or downloading data from an aggregator can make use of the data quality feedback offered. If you use this information, we would like to hear about how you use it (or not) and ways in which all of us can work on improving data quality (dq). From researcher, policy maker, graduate student, collection manager, curator, educator, and museum director, we all have a role to play. We also plan to share some of what we learned from a recent survey and symposium at SPNHC-TDWGNZ -- on this topic. And, we'll share some ideas for possible future changes to dq feedback from iDigBio as well as recent progress from the TDWG Data Quality Interest Group and iDigBio implementation plans.

Challenges in Research Use of DataBruce Lieberman, Matt Collins & Pam Soltis

Session Notes
We now have millions of digitized specimen records available for use in research, education, and other applications. Yet researchers face many challenges as they attempt to use these data. In this session, we will discuss ongoing challenges of data completeness, data quality, and fitness for use and possible solutions. We will also explore novel data types extracted from digitized specimen records – whether text or images – and consider community needs for effective use of these data in research.

4:00-4:10 TRANSITION TO AUDITORIUM FOR WRAP-UP
4:10-4:30 Summit Wrap-UpDavid Jennings
4:30 Adjourn

Thursday, October 4, 2018 -- Optional Post-Summit Activities

Option Activity
1 One-day R Workshop

The UF Carpentries Club is offering a one day workshop to help the UF community get started learning R. Need to learn some programming for a class? Have data you're scared to work with in Excel? Want to collaborate effectively with your peers? We were there once too. Come start learning with us. Space is limited to 24 participants for this workshop and registration is required. A fee of $23.00 will be charged and lunch will be provided. Please plan on attending the entire time. Details and registration are on the workshop web site: https://uf-carpentry.github.io/2018-10-04-ufii-one-day/ Early registration for ADBC summit attendees is now open (9/10/2018), please email mcollins@acis.ufl.edu for a direct link.

2 Field Trip to Sweetwater Wetlands Park
  • Information: http://www.sweetwaterwetlands.org/
  • Registration: Contact Cathy Bester
  • Fee: None
  • Where to meet: Hilton Lobby
  • When: 8 AM pickup; 11 AM dropoff at the Hilton Hotel or arrange for ground transport from park directly to airport as needed
3 Collection Tours

If you are interesting in visiting the collections, please contact Randy Singer at rsinger@flmnh.ufl.edu.

4 Self-Guided Activities

Report, Evaluation, and Photos

ADBC Summit 2018 Report

ADBC Summit 2018 Photo Album

ADBC Summit 2018 Evaluation

Recorded Proceedings

You can view all of the recorded proceedings via the University of Florida Mediasite catalog:

https://mediasite.video.ufl.edu/Mediasite/Catalog/catalogs/-adbc-summit-2018