WeDigBio 2016 Planning Meeting
April 20-22, 2016, Gainesville, FL
The 2015 Worldwide Engagement for Digitizing Biocollections (WeDigBio) Event was a great success—hundreds of volunteers from >50 countries transcribed >30,000 labels over 4 days! At this workshop, we will begin planning for 2016's activities and will lay the groundwork for a sustainable, annual WeDigBio event. The meeting is scheduled for 20–22 April, 2016, with the 19th and 23rd as travel days. It will take place at the iDigBio offices on the campus of the University of Florida, in Gainesville, FL. The meeting will be a productive three days focused on improving the WeDigBio dashboard and website, expanding resources for onsite event hosts and participants, honing our media strategy, developing a sustainability strategy for the event, and generally building upon the success of the inaugural WeDigBio event that took place this past October.
Invitees include representatives of the major online transcription platforms (Smithsonian Transcription Center, Notes from Nature, DigiVol, Symbiota, and Les Herbonautes), talented programmers, and experts in citizen science, biodiversity informatics, education, assessment, and event planning.
|Quick Links for WeDigBio2016 Planning Meeting|
Agenda, Logistics, and Other Information
- Logistics Document
- Participants List
- AdobeConnect room for connection to the workshop remotely
Certain portions of the WeDigBio 2016 Planning Meeting will be broadcast using Adobe Connect. The meeting hosts will monitor the chat to address any questions or concerns.
- To connect, go to http://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/wedigbio and choose Enter as Guest, type your name, and then click Enter Room.
- WeDigBio website
- Twitter: @WeDigBio @AMDigiVol @NfromN @TranscribeSI @LesHerbonautes @iDigBio
Groups will work in Google docs, linked at each group name.
- Additional documents can be placed in the WeDigBio 2016 Planning Meeting Group Work main folder. (Google Drive folder)
- Action items 2016 doc
- wedigbio.org and interoperability between it and platforms
- Kevin Love and Rob Guralnick (leads)
- Outreach and Marketing
- Enhancing wedigbio.org’s ease of click-through to platforms and events, social media strategy targeted at outreach, FAQs, engagement of dispersed contributors, onsite and dispersed contributor marketing and engagement, crowdfunding
- Paul Kimberly and Paul Flemons (leads)
- Informal Education Events
- Blitz kits, including suggested activities, checklist for prep; successful models for engagement and best practice recommendations re choice of model; support for onboarding
- Austin Mast (lead)
- Formal Education Events
- Blitz kits, including lesson plans and checklists for classroom prep
- Libby Ellwood (lead)
2015 Year One WeDigBio Materials
Transcription Blitz 2015 Google Drive Folder