ADBC Educational Resources
- The Portal: Search through millions of records from natural history collections from around the world. New to the iDigBio Portal?
- Find modules and lesson plans related to natural history collections for:
iDigBio has several article series published through the iDigBio Spotlight e-newsletter highlighting biodiversity, natural history collections, and new research. Subscribe to the newsletter or check out the archives for:
- Biodiversity Spotlights: Get more background on some of the organisms found in the portal by reading the monthly Biodiversity Spotlight.
- Research Spotlights: Learn about what scientists are learning from collections by reading the monthly Research Spotlight.
- Portal Curiosities: Find some of the extraordinary specimens within the portal by checking out the Portal Curiosities Series.
- Coding Corner: Did you know that iDigBio has an R programing package? Learn how to explore data in the specimen portal using "ridigbio".
More Resources from ADBC
PaleoNICHES & Cretaceous World TCNs: Digital Atlas of Ancient Life: Get digital atlases for fossils from the Ordovician, Pennsylvanian, Cretaceous, and Neogene, find fossil guides, access a Digital Encyclopedia of Ancient Life (DEAL) and get the mobile friendly App.
EPICC: Virtual Field Experiences allow you to explore fossil-rich field sites just like a scientist would. Visit the website for lesson plans, videos, interactive maps and so much more.
FIC and Cretaceous World: has the educational portal iDigPaleo. This portal offers educators and students unique tools and resources to access insect specimens.
Tri-Trophic: Visit the Discover Life webpage to find lesson plans, activities, and other information for science teachers and students
Libraries of Life Collection Cards were created by the iDigBio Augmented Reality Public Education/Outreach Working Group. The fifteen cards each feature a different project funded by NSF's Advancing Digitization of Biodiversity Collections program, and each card launches a 3D model in the mobile device's viewer that brings specimens to life for the public. The cards are available to download and print through the app, and further resources are available at www.libraries-of-life.org, including educational materials.
Worldwide Engagement for Digitizing Biocollections, or WeDigBio, is a 4-day event that engages participants online and onsite in digitizing natural history collections. Onsite events are hosted by museums, herbaria, universities, and other institutions and enable face to face meetups where participants engage with local collections.